For add bumpmap / lightmap to a mesh using 3dstudio max you will need to do the next stage:
You must create a standard material and change the diffuse map to a bitmap (see picture).
Optionally, you can add a bump map (see picture).
Then apply this texture to the mesh.
Next, you will need to create the lightmap, for this purpose you must use the function render for texture in Main Menu Rendering (see picture).
Select the mesh(es) you want to apply the lightmap. If you want to apply to several meshes then you must select the destination folder on Render To Texture->General Setting->Output Path, in this case textures are labeled using the name of every mesh.
In Texture->Mapping Coordinates you must change the object channel to 2 (object channel 3 if you are using bump map), see picture.
In Render to texture->Output press the button Add , select the option Lightmap and press Add elements
In Render to texture->Output->Target Map Slot select the option Self Illumination. Also check the texture size:
256×256 = for low end graphics card. (use less memory).
512×512 = for a average use, *recommended*.
1024×1024 – 2048×2048 = for mid range graphics card.
4096×4096 = max texture limit size, just for hight end graphics card (use the most memory usage).
In Render to texture->Baked Material->Baked Material Setting check the option output into source is selected. Shell material will not work in Unity3d.
Then you must export the whole scene or a single mesh using the option in the main menu file->export and select fbx as the output field.
Remember, the FBX version 2006.x works fine with Unity3d, so you must change this value if its needing.
Additionally you also can export the textures, checking the values FBX Exporter->Misc Embed Textures
- Map Scaler will not work with FBX exporter
- FBX exporter 2009.x is not compatible with Unity 2.1, usea instead 2006.x
- 3dsmax’s material with the same name is considered as the same material in Unity3d.
- You should assign a UVMAP for all layer of the selected mesh. If the render says “unable to render because the lack of uvwmap”, then you will need to assign (or reasign) a uvwmap.
- Inside Unity3d UI, you must select the material Lightmap / Lightmap with bmp mapping manually, by default the material selected is Diffuse